Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Raised-bed Gardening


Hello Friends!

Rain, Rain! Last week the garden was planted and this week, right on cue, RAIN!

Raised-bed gardening:
Yippee, I am now officially a gardener. I have grown up around many great gardeners but never wanted to break ground myself. Well, I wanted to but not enough to do it. Then I learned about raised-bed gardening. This sounded a little more like what I wanted rather than the traditional, low-to-the-ground garden. Something small and manageable for my first time. I discussed with my husband about using something recycled for the sides/walls of the raised beds. Something we already owned. He came up with the idea of using an old ACE Hardware trashcan. He cut it in half and (voila) made 2 separate beds.

I dug down into the ground about 1.5 feet. After positioning the recycled trash can, I back-filled the hole with 3 things. 1) dirt from the hole, 2) compost mix from hardware store, and 3) Miracle-Gro planting mix for vegetables. I let the dirt sit for a few days before planting my vegetables. I chose tomato plants (2 Big Boys and 1 Sweet 100) and zucchini from seeds. I also added a marigold to help with pests. Tomato cages added will help to hold the plants up as they grow.

Check back to see how my gardening adventure grows. I hope fruitfully well!!

Next blog: Container Gardening

Cheers, Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment